|УКРАЇНСЬКА||NEWS · ABOUT · CONTACTS|
|QUARTERS||OBJECTS||ARCHITECTS||CONTRACTORS||MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES||WORKSHOP|
The boundaries of Velyky (Big) Galagov are set by the Mytna and Sobranetska Streets, airport area and the Uzh River. In 1929, the Podkarpatsky Bank founded a powerful industrial complex at Velyky Galagov – the Keramos Plant – that became a competitive player in tendering for bricks and ceramic tiles supply.
The construction of cottage quarter was foreseen by the Professor of Architecture Adolf Liebscher in 1923 when he was developing a plan for Maly Galagov. In 1928, the Podkarpatsky Bank acquired a large suburban area from state forests administration for the purpose of its development.
The biggest residential colony in Uzhhorod was built in compliance with many criteria of a city garden concept that had been settled by a British urbanist Sir Ebenezer Howard in 1898. A round space in the centre, plenty of greenery, proximity to the city, necessary infrastructure with modern roads and pavements, resemblance to country life but with modern buildings equipped with the latest design and hygiene facilities. The Bank funded and was supposed to build necessary infrastructure, and provided loans with favourable rates.
Most of the buildings in Velyky Galagov were constructed in the Art Deco style that was later embodied in private architecture that was more temperate than the governmental one. Villas with more progressive architecture are also present.