|УКРАЇНСЬКА||NEWS · ABOUT · CONTACTS|
|QUARTERS||OBJECTS||ARCHITECTS||CONTRACTORS||MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES||WORKSHOP|
After Uzhhorod became a capital city of Podkarpatska Rus (Subcarpathian Ruthenia) in 1919, a detailed urban analysis was made by a Doctor of Architecture Adolf Liebsсher who developed a partial general plan of the city. The governmental and residential quarter Maly Galagov was erected in record-breaking terms. The development of the territory was made with the use of the latest construction technologies and in accordance with European architectural style trends of that time. The uniqueness of the quarter project was that no old buildings from previous epochs were destroyed in order to build a new large-scaled city. Instead, the developers drained the swampy area and duly regulated the riverbed, and created the first embankment in city history.
Thus, in less than 20 years, Uzhhorod received all the necessary governmental institutions, residential buildings for relevant officers near their working place, schools and libraries, water supply and sewerage system, powerful and modern fully-equipped industrial objects, roads, pavements, parks and recreational objects like the city cinema, the swimming pool, etc. Besides, with the use of state, local and private investments, some other residential areas were developed and built using garden city principles: Mala Praha (Small Prague), Velyky Galagov, Svepomoc and others.