|УКРАЇНСЬКА||NEWS · ABOUT · CONTACTS|
|QUARTERS||OBJECTS||ARCHITECTS||CONTRACTORS||MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES||WORKSHOP|
In 1919, Uzhhorod became the main city of Podkarpatska Rus which was immediately reflected on the scale of development. While planning of governmental, residential and industrial quarters, and regulation of the riverbed were on-going, it was necessary to build dwelling for the first Czechoslovak officials who arrived to work here. There was such an acute need in dwelling that some officials were staying overnight in free hospital wards or slept on their desks at their offices.
At the beginning of 1920s, a land spot at Kadubets area behind local government’s caserns was purchased for public costs from state forests administration. In 1921, the construction of the first so-called dwelling colony with the use of garden city principles was already started. Later, this dwelling quarter of family houses was publicly named as Mala Praha.
As the city was in urgent need for dwelling spaces in a critically short term, it was decided to build temporary wooden houses. First, 24 individual two-bedroom houses were planned by the Department of Public Works, and Michal Demeter performed works as a contractor. Later on, Ernő Kavasch, the local contractor, built other 6 multi-rooms wooden houses. The last were corner houses made of brick that were built to finish the lines of wooden houses. The enterprise of Jan Soukup from Prague was a contractor for this turn of construction.