|УКРАЇНСЬКА||NEWS · ABOUT · CONTACTS|
|QUARTERS||OBJECTS||ARCHITECTS||CONTRACTORS||MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES||WORKSHOP|
Josef Gočár is one of the most outstanding Czech architects and one of the founders of modernist architecture at the First Republic of Czechoslovakia.
He received education at the Arts and Crafts School in Prague. After his graduation, he started to work at legendary Jan Kotěra’s architecture firm. Since 1908 he started his own practice.
His talent was fully exposed in Cubism and Rondocubism styles – some Gočár’s projects became programme examples for these styles. House of the Black Madonna (1911-1912) in Prague was the first sample of this innovative architectural style, which now accommodates the Cubism Museum. Another building in Prague – Building of Legiobanka – one of the key rondocubist objects.
In 1924. After Kotěra’s death, Josef Gočár was appointed to the position of professor of the Fine Arts Academy in Prague, and in 1928, he was elected a Principal of this institution. He worked at this position until 1932.
In 1930s, this genius architect creates a number of remarkable projects in functionalist style. St. Wenceslas Church (1929-1930) is one of the most famous functionalist sacred buildings.
In Uzhhorod, Gočár designed two objects: Post and Telegraph Administration House, and Bat`a Palace, which was a trade house of Czechoslovakian “shoe king” Tomas Bat’a.
In 2000, Josef Gočár was acknowledged the most prominent figure of Czech architecture of the 20th century.
House of the Black Madonna, Prague (1911–1912)
Bauer villa, Libodřice (1912–1913)
Building of Legiobanka (Archa Palace), Prague (1921–1939)
Masaryk Square, Hradec Králové (1924–1926)
Gymnasium, Hradec Králové (1924–1926)
Family villas in the Baba district, Prague (1928–1934)
Pavilion of the Academy of Fine Arts, Brno (1927–1928)
Saint Wenceslas church, Prague (1929–1930)