|УКРАЇНСЬКА||NEWS · ABOUT · CONTACTS|
|QUARTERS||OBJECTS||ARCHITECTS||CONTRACTORS||MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES||WORKSHOP|
In 1930, the famous architect František Krupka finished the development of Podkarpatska Rus Government building plan.
The building emerged at the centre of the horseshoe-shaped quarter of Maly Galagov. In 1932, the construction of 6-storey governmental building with reinforced concrete was started.
The general contractor was LANNA joint-stock company from Prague which performed stone, carpentering and tile works for the total amount of 42,433 Czech Crowns. Water sewerage and supply systems and installation of street lamps was performed by František Makovička from Uzhhorod for the total amount of 29,463 Czech Crowns. Painting works were made by František Vacek for the total amount of 5,910 Czech Crowns, parqueting – by Jakubovits & Hanz Company for the amount of 17,817 Czech Crowns, joinery was supplied by Josef Mikeš, etc.
In total, 24 Mill. Czech Crowns was spent for the construction of the governmental building. The construction ended in 1936 and the building was supposed to accommodate all the regional governmental structures of Podkarpatska Rus.
Initially, the drawings of Krupka depicted a building with expressive traditional features, but later the project was reviewed, and approach that was more functional was used. Thus, it was decided to refuse from stone facing of the main building façade, and the version with heraldic sculptural ensemble of Czechoslovak State Emblem remained only in the archived drawings.
The building has a Neoclassic style. It is characterized by the use ultimately simple to-order system, the presence of portico with columns, entablature, strict vertical division of the volume with lesenes, and massiveness, etc. Decorative spheres on both sides of the front entrance is an interpretation of classic portal sculptures.
Neoclassicism is characterized by clear and symmetric structure of space; carefully balanced decoration; simple clear line and temperate geometry; maximal simplification to easy symbolic forms. The building of Regional Government was equipped with two passenger elevators of continuous movement – paternosters – one of which is still functioning nowadays. The paternoster for this building was manufactured by ČKD Company. The atrium of the building has a height of two floors and ends with glass ceiling which allows the daylight to fall not only into the atrium space but also to the corridors and flight of stairs. The atrium space was used for ceremonies, balls and concerts as it was designed to have unique acoustic characteristics.
Liebscher, A. (1927). Regulace Maleho Galaga v Uzhorode. Horizont: revue soucasne kultury v Ceskoslovensku, 1 (1-10), pp.153-155.
Millautz, J. (1932). Verejne prace na Podkarpatske Rusi. In: G. Bianchi, ed., Publikace pro zem Podkarpatska Rus, Banska Bystrica: Slovan, p. 24
Mihalka, J. (1933). O rozvitiju horoda Uzhoroda. In: J. Musil, ed., Technicka prace v zemi Podkarpatoruske 1919-1933, Uzhorod: Odbor spolku ceskoslovenskych inzenyru v Uzhorode, р. 63.
Kobal, J. (2008). Famous and unknown Uzhhorod [Uzhhorod vidomyi ta nevidomyi], Lviv: Svit, p. 142.
Fialova, R. (2015). Medzivojnova architektura obytnych budov Uzhorodu. PhD. Slovenska Technicka Univerzita v Bratislave
Years of construction
4 Narodna Sq
Local monument of architecture (protective index No. 57-M)
Integrated protection area of local urban planning monument "Historical Building Complex" (Maly Galagov)
Uzhhorod historical area territory